23/07/2022 11:00 am - 1:00 pm
If you would love to have a go at making your own clothes but feel a bit unsure how to get started then please join me for this relaxed 2 hour theory workshop when I will help you decipher all that is available & help you decide on a first make. Maria x
Skill level: Capable Sewer
This is the perfect workshop for anyone who has been using a sewing machine to make simple craft projects & is now keen to start making their own clothes.
This is a 2 hour theory lesson that will be full of helpful information and advice for you to get started on your first dressmaking project.
I will talk you through the following topics:
What to Buy
- Pattern Choice – learn about the huge range of patterns available in printed, PDF or book form.
- Pattern Choice for you – choosing an appropriate style & skill level
- Fabric Choice – understanding & choosing suitable fabrics
- Notions – identifying what other supplies you will need
- Where to Buy – in Bristol & online
Following Your Pattern
- Choosing your size, taking measurements & basic adjustments
- The language of patterns & reading between the lines
- Finishing techniques for seams & hems
I will have a wide selection of patterns & fabric samples for you to analyse & compare as well as suitable tried & tested pattern suggestions. If you already have a pattern or fabric you are thinking of using you are welcome to bring these along to discuss with me.
By the end of the workshop you should have all the knowledge you need to head to the fabric shop & get started with your first dressmaking project. There will be a worksheet for you to add notes to & take away.
If you would like practical guidance through your first dressmaking project please see the sewing lessons page for more details about individual & ‘sew-with-a-friend’ private sewing lessons.
Tea & biscuits will be provided.
A bespoke Gift Voucher is available for this workshop via the gift voucher page. These are valid for 12 months & as well as making a nice gift the lucky recipient will be able to choose their own date to attend this workshop.